Saturday, January 24, 2009

Notes by a Newbie

Notes by a Newbie Blogger

I'm studying the Huffington Post blogger book, in addition to Blogging for Dummies. As I read,
I'm not at all sure I have a future as a successful blogger. That role will require me to think hard and to make a few tough decisions. I may not be up to it.
----------------

Decision 1: Do I want to remain anonymous? The appeal of anonymity is enormous. What freedom there must be to be able to speak one's mind openly and without fear of being identified. I hold few radical opinions on any major topic, so I'm not afraid that I'll have rocks heaved through my window or horse manure
dumped on my lawn by persons who violently disagree with me. But I still enjoy the pleasures of obscurity, and of not having strangers know both my thoughts and my name and address. Or maybe I don't have the guts to speak freely and attach my name to my views.

---------------

Decision 2: What shall I blog about? Initially I had planned to post blogs on almost any subject that
crossed my mind or appeared on my mental radar. But now I learn that the blogging experts advise every
blogger to focus on one - or only a few - main topics. In choosing those topics, the experts say I should ask
myself what are the things that, in a day or a week, I find myself thinking or reading about, watching on TV,
discussing with friends, Googling on the Web. Early indicators: politics, movies, books, music, health and fitness, popular culture (a very broad
arena), major sports events, media trends, and - of course - the expanding world of blogging. But isn't that list already too big? If so, I have one consolation: my blogging topics fit my blog title: The Unaimed Arrow. I am lousy at choosing one specific major goal and then sticking to it.

Please let me know your thoughts, all four or five of you. Thank you.

End of Jan. 24, 2009 post.

No comments: